Enter 'Mafia', the fun filled psychological game. The nature of the game itself relies on mind games. Let me explain further in the following paragraphs. An excellent ice breaker to connect with people instantly and a shortcut to knowing their personalities, all in a game.
You start out with giving out cards. Depending on the number of players, say 6 (typical amount of players), you are to give out cards. Which cards? There are the mafia, spy, doctor and villagers. All 4 roles serve exclusively in the game. The point of the game is to win the mafia. Mafia is defeated when villagers manage to vote the mafia (killer) out. On the other hand, the mafia wins, if there is only a single villager left.
Assignment of Cards: The Joker card usually symbolizes the mafia. While the spy holds the ace card, the doctor has the Jack or Queen or King (up to your liking). Villagers hold any numbered cards. Ideally, in a game of 6 persons, thereought to be 1 mafia, 1 spy, 1 doctor and 3 villagers. Follow this ratio to your judgment when playing big games with more than 6 people. Sometimes, you can even set 2 mafias in a game; to give you a rough guideline. Shuffle the 6 cards (if 6 people) and hand out to all 6 players.
Each players must know their roles beforehand.
How to Play:
1) Tell everyone to close their eyes (now everyone go to sleep or the night has come).
2) Ask the mafia to wake up (open eyes). Now you, the host / narrator / emcee know who is the mafia. Ask him who he wants to kill. The mafia then should point or gesture (without any sound) to someone he wants to kill. Tell him to close his eyes (or go back to sleep).
3) Now wake the spy. The spy will point to a person, to know whether that particular person is the real mafia or not. You (already know who is the mafia) will then shake or nod your head.
4) "Doctor, please wake up!", You say. "Who do you want to save?". Doctor chooses a person. If person 'A' is the same person that the mafia had selected earlier on, that person 'A' survives. If doctor saves the wrong person (doctor chose the different person from the victim of mafia), then the person 'A' dies.
5) Tell everyone to wake up (it has been a bloody night, etc). Announce the person who is killed. That person is now out of the game and allowed to witness the game in silence.
6) Tribal council time: here is where the fun begins. Instruct the group of people to nominate the suspected mafia (no one knows who is who) and vote. Majority of votes decides who leaves the game. The person who is voted joins the dead person killed earlier on by the mafia. Encourage the nominated person to defend himself. Also, the spy who might know who is the real mafia should argue as well. The blaming and influencing of one another among players are fun!
7) Steps 1 to 6 are repeated until the mafia is killed (then the villagers win the game) or there is only 1 villager left (mafia wins the game).
This mafia game is truly effective at observing behaviors and personalities of people. Sometimes, it could show them true colors too. Give this game a try. I think this is one of the most popular party game played in the world. Have fun!